Ever seen a photo with completely unwanted or unnecessary background? I bet you have. Sometimes while clicking a picture, few unwanted elements come in scene which you see later on. To remove such backgrounds, it is important to have some knowledge of background removal tools that are available in Photoshop at your disposal. But before you do that, you have to spot whether you want to remove the areas of the background or the whole background. It is a tricky art so make sure to be careful while removing the backgrounds. Today, I am going to talk about the quick selection tool for background removal:
Follow the steps below:
- Open the picture in Photoshop.
- Pick the Quick selection tool from the tools palette. This tool is the best for background removal.
- Once you select this tool, you will see a sensitive menu at the top of the screen. Click on Add to selection where you have to open the brush picker to work on the selections. You can increase or reduce the size of the brush according to the photo.
- Now drag the mouse over the area that you want to remove. Selection will appear and now keep on the adding the areas to be removed clicking one by one.
- If accidently you select the areas you want to keep, simply hold the ALT key to switch the subtraction mode. Now again drag over that area and you will see that the selection will be released. Once done, release the ALT key and you will be switched back to the addition mode.
- Now if you have made the complete selection, it’s time to move on. Right click on the selection and select Refine edge. This option smoothen the hard edges that come as a result of the selection. It will not make the selection look artificial and make it blend naturally. To work with Refine Edge, change the view mode to On white and it will show the areas that need more work.
- Increase the Smooth value under Adjust edge to smooth the edges. Hit OK.
VOILA, you did it. Now it is the time to see the results. Right click in the selection and select Layer Via copy. A new layer will be created with all the effects as in the original layer. Now hide the original layer and see the final results.
Hope you find it useful! Go ahead and remove the background using quick selection tool.